Re: [Harp-L] RE: Blowing too hard....

Hi Winslow & Harp-L,

Winslow Yerxa said:

<< Loud volume does not require blowing hard. You *can get  loud volume
without amplification by blowing hard, but it's *not the only  way.>>

Yes of course.

Winslow, your advice is 100% correct.

Ten years ago, I had a few lessons from the late great Doug Tate, & he  told
me that I already was about as loud acoustically as I could get.
"Resonance" being the key, It is the column of air that helps to maximize
the sound. That's why it's better to play harmonica, or to sing, standing up,
rather than sitting down. It maximises the "column of air".
Douglas Tate could play as loud (or as softly) as any harmonicist I've  ever
heard.

But it's the same old story, whatever the style of music... Heavy Metal
(200watt Bass & 200watt lead guitar), to a 90 piece orchestra, Gospel Choir  or
Irish traditional music.

It's almost ALWAYS hard to be heard playing harmonica, in an ensemble
situation!

Of course the answer is "A GOOD SOUND PERSON"...

But when playing in a back street bar, that just isn't an  option.

That's life!

Thanks for the excellent advice.

Kind regards,

John Walden