Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] RE: Blowing too hard - and leading a group

Elizabeth -

Yes, this was a smaller grouping from SFSF (about fifteen players - 1
cello, 1 guitar, 1 percussion, 1 piper, 1 harmonica, and the rest
fiddlers. As this was the San Francisco Scottish Fiddlers, which I
happened to be leading that day, and not "Winslow Yerxa accompanied by
a bunch of fiddlers," I asked that the sound guy mix me in with the
group, and you can hear my sound blended in with the fiddles, even
though the sound is being recorded by a video camera about halfway back
in a school auditorium.

I was using a wireless rig and my mic was a tiny Audix condenser mic
on a gooseneck strapped to my left wrist. Instead of cupping the mic in
my hands, which would have compressed the sound, I placed it outside my
hands, pointed back at the sound opening. This gives me a completely
acoustic sound combined with the freedom to move around onstage, which
is especially crucial when you're leading (in that situation I often
don't play, as it's more important to give the musicians any cues they
need - you may notice that in the other clip, Alasdair Fraser doesn't
play much if at all, even though it's a tune he wrote (Vally of the
Moon Reel)).

Winslow