Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:28:25 -0400
From: spschndr@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SuproSupremeFinal sound file & JAYPHAT intro
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

To Hal Iwan and anyone else who's wondering: Yes, the amps in the cycle
of sound clips have got some tweaks, but those just highlight what is
happening at the input end. I will detail the amp tweaks at the
initial mention of each amp.

The SuproSupremeFinal clip I put up on the Harp-L parking lot at
http://google.com.groups/group/harp-l/files/ grew into a series of
clips demonstrating some microphone impedance matching issues.
(Right-clicking on the filename will let you save the file to your
machine for playback if streaming doesn't work right.)Â For those of
you whose eyes glaze over at the mention of amplified gear, the clear
finding on these clips is that proper impedance matching for your
microphone can greatly accentuate your hand effects as you play,
amplifying not only your volume level but the expressive aspects of
your playing as well, making the whole rig more an extension of your
instrument.

These clips involve an outboard impedance matching box designed/built
by my friend Greg Schlacter ca. 2001. What it does is buffer a
high-impedance mic from everything downstream of it, and provide a
steady high impedance loading for the mic element, minimizing loss of
signal to ground and maximizing the micÃââs tone. More on the box in the

SuproSupremeFinal is my brotherÃââs 1947 Supro Supreme amp I was
overhauling for sale, temporarily modified for harp with 0.1mfd
coupling c
aps (to fatten tone) and no bypass cap on the input stage (to
reduce preamp gain). The first filter cap is 47 mfd; screen filter is
20; preamp filter is 10 mfd. This amp model has push-pull 6V6GTs with
6SC7 inverter and 6J7 input tube, 5Y3GT rectifier, plus a 10Ãâï field
coil speaker; very common postwar amp sold as Supro, National, Valco,
Oahu, McKinney, I think Bronson, and more, as Hal mentions; the
earliest ones have no tone knob. It is basically a 6V6 version of the
National amp that influenced Gerald WeberÃââs Kendrick harp amp design.
1947Supro at the Files page is a photo of this amp. You can find a
schematic for this design by following the Amp Schematics link at the
Weber VST Amps forum to Supro and Supreme. A design quirk is that it
has a very low input impedance of 100K; that dumps a lot of mic signal
off to ground, really doesnÃâât let older hi-Z mic designs do their best
work.

You will hear this to a comical degree when I switch to the MC-151
crystal mic w/ 5Meg volume pot, as both the lows and the overall level
disappear. Using the outboard impedance box changes that dramatically.
 Using a controlled magnetic (CM) element straight in sounds pretty
good, but listen carefully to what happens on the 4D when I add the
impedance box: the sound with my hands open expands dramatically. The
impedance box doesnÃâât induce serious feedback problems wit
h either
mic--I was standing closer to the amp than I would on a stage--but it
really emphasizes what IÃââm doing with my hands as I play.

I returned the Supreme to guitar mode after making this clip, so it
doesn't show up on the others. On this clip I am playing a Bb Joe
Spiers custom MB in 7-limit just intonation tuning; the A and D harps
on the other clips are MBs I customized myself, also in 7-limit JI
tuning. I tried to play repetitive old-school bits with tonal
exaggeration on these clips to emphasize the A/B differences. Sorry if
it gets boring. Youtube addicts are encouraged to print out the photo
file of the 1947 Supro amp and stare at the photo while listening to
the Supro file, which is not much different than watching some Youtube
amp clips.

Stephen Schneiderhar