Re: [Harp-L] The shapes of the covers

John.Balding said
<<

I agree 100% on all  fronts. To me, the most comfortable harp Iâve ever
held/played are my Suzuki  Bluesmasters. If I had a Special 20 which felt that good
in my hands, I would be  a happy guy. Although I do not like the Lee Oskarâs
tone, I do find that a  slightly larger (ever so slightly) harp seems easier
to manage when using a  JT30. Perhaps I would like the 1847 harp...The plastic
cover  plates on the CX12 may have vibrated in your head (resonated in your
oral  cavity) more than the metal plates, which tended to project the sound
forward  more. The plastic vibrated more because it âabsorbedâ the sound, whereas
the  metal âdeflectedâ the sound. You did not mention whether or not the
audience  members commented on a difference in tone in addition to volume. The
tone issue  I might not swallow so easily, but the volume issue I can definitely
 accept.I think the issue on  the list was concerning whether or not the
cover plates contributed to tone.  This, to me, is getting a little absurd. Comb
material...maybe. But cover  plates? I tend to agree with you on that count:
They have more influence on  comfort and projection (volume) than raw tonal
nuances.Thanks for the  input,
John Balding  >>
Reply:

The audience mostly noticed NO difference in tone.
They just mostly said Seigfried's brass covered harp sounded louder,  than
the standard Hohner plastic harp.
I then played my Renny, and the perception of the audience was that  the
Renny & the CB... Sounded the same. Identical. But I guess that was  probably more
about my playing, than the instruments. (Douglas Tate was there,  and he said
"The Renny is MUCH louder" ....LOL)
I DO tend to play my mouth organ louder than most harmonica players,  not
better, just louder! I guess that has a lot to do with playing heavy metal  for
years with 200 watt Marshal tube/valve amplified guitarists.
But I am a great believer in dynamics... "light and shade".
All the best,
John Walden
London
England