Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] The shapes of the covers

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: EGS1217@xxxxxxx
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Cc: jevern@xxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 1:35 PM
  Subject: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] The shapes of the covers

  > Well, you may be out to bust myths, Vern...but I have a question as to just what  constitutes a myth?:

  A myth is a belief not yet justified by objective evidence.

  > Which human ear are you talking about: yours? mine? Howard Levy's? the kid down the street's?....from everything I understand about hearing, I absolutely believe that it is an entirely subjective thing: we all have different  levels of ability to hear...and I'd bet that the brain of not a single one of us interprets sound exactly the same way as everyone else's.

  You are making my point. How then can someone expect the terms "warm" and "bright" to have meaning to others and expect them to hear these attributes in covers of different design.  These claims are theirs, not mine.

  > If a player likes the sound and 'tone' he/she gets from different cover plates, harp bodies, amps, cupping vs non-cupping...pa's or wireless mics...there is absolutely no test yet (as far as I know) which will refute that ability to hear his or her own music and the minute nuances involved. One simply cannot be inside another's head...or ears, or have any idea what's going on there...

  What you say is true.  That is why in a blind comparison we play harps of different design and ask listeners to report on the differences that they hear.   If their reports are accurate, then they can demonstrate the ability that they claim.

  >  Heck, there are even people with profound hearing loss dependent on hearing aids or other devices to hear any sound at all who can still play music extremely well. I wouldn't dream of deciding for them just what or how it is they are hearing, so how can you possibly decide for everyone else?  Why not allow for the possibility that the player might be hearing something entirely different from yourself...and yes...also from the 'listeners" (any and all who could be for all we know, suffering from varying degrees of hearing loss as well) and who cannot be close enough to hear what the performer is hearing?

  I agree completely.  I don't decide for anyone else.  I just take their word for what the hear and then match it against what was actually played.

  .>..and a machine IS just a machine, for a' that..

  Agreed.

  Although a harmonica performance is much more,  a harmonica IS just a machine, for a' that...

  > I certainly don't mind at all your enjoying the role of curmudgeon, it's the flat, blanket statements about something even science hasn't yet figured out that I think could stand some scrutiny once in a while...

  The burden of proof is on those who make the flat, blanket statements that  perceptible warmth, brightness, etc. arise from cover design.  Scrutiny is exactly what I am suggesting.

  Vern
  Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com