[Harp-L] re: Cover Material and shape

Joseph Bernard wrote:

"I just took the carpet out of my son´s room and put in a marble floor. I´m rather certain that the sound is different, even if he is playing the same Hertz. "

The difference is dramatic between a room with resonant acoustics (hard surfaces and a decent size) and those with soft, absorbent materials. I deal with this quite often in my work. However, consider the question of scale: floors, walls and ceilings are a huge surface area, even a 10' x 10' floor is a 100 square feet of surface area. The harmonica cover is tiny. If we assume one by four inches for the average diatonic (being extremely generous and too lazy to measure), that's 4 square inches per cover, 8 square inches overall for a grand total of 2/3 of a square foot surface area. Chromatics, especially 64s are a bit bigger, maybe even reaching a foot of surface area. But, the scales are so massively different that what is a significant effect on one end is an insignificant one on the other.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'