Re: [Harp-L] Mystery artist ID (offlist)

Some more thoughts on this Stephen. I unintentionally posted the last reply offlist too.  Not being a resident of the USA, there are obviously some shortcomings in my musings on this topic. But I do wonder where one draws the line between, say, Henry Whitter in the '20s playing a 'fox chase' that could just as easily have been recorded by a 'coloured' player, as well as all the 'white blues' from the pre-war days (Frank Huthchison, Charlie Poole etc.) all of  which seem to represent a long tradition of whites assimilating black influence. What makes a guy like Joey Long so different from this? I'm not saying there isn't a difference, just wondering about it.
RD

>>> <spschndr@xxxxxxx> 12/07/2008 5:31 >>>
Rick,

Sorry about the last, didn't see an offlist tag on your message and
gave an onlist-style reply; the HTML problem on my posts is giving me
fits today, though it's only messing up the digest.  Look at
http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/LL/flo76.html for
the ID on this artist, and googling his discography will turn up a
Finnish site that fills out that picture pretty well.  The biography
article doesn't mention that he was the biggest single influence on
both Johnny Winter and Billy Gibbons, and that ZZ Top's signature
hat/shades/long beard/cowboy boots look is a visual tribute to him,
which is why I said that everyone knows what he looked like.  He was
the patriarch of an entire posse of young whites who broke into the
blues/R&B club scene in the Lou-Tex area from 1960 onward; the Winter
brothers and Keith Ferguson of the Fabulous Thunderbirds were the
best-known later.  I think Alan Haynes is the last of his proteges, way
younger than the "Border Bandits" (as they styled themselves).  Thanks
for responding, not sure who else is curious about the matter but I am
wondering just when the white postwar blues harmonica revival got going
on records and hope to get this guy a bit more of a footnote in
harmonica history if he deserves it.

Regards,
Stephen