Re: [Harp-L] making youtube vids

can someone please tell me the best way to make a youtube vid?  Just
play to the camera and upload or do I need a little a/v studio with
Adobe Premier and After Effects etc

There is no right way. I find alot of YouTube videos to be sloppy as hell, and absolutely perfect for what they are intended. For music you're just distributing to the Harp-l posse, just make sure it sounds good and it's your best effort.

I've just finished my first video, not online yet, and since I intend it to promote my music to a larger group - essentially to people who don't know me - I spent time making sure I look good (nearly impossible), that the video was lit well, that the performance was strong and that the sound was good. In fact, the sound on my camera is terrible, so I recorded the audio with my Zoom H2 and then laid it in using Final Cut Pro 3. Much better sound.

But if you're upping your vids for Harp-l people, I'd recommend you just make sure the stuff sounds good. For your own peace of mind, I'd recommend that you do a few takes on things, and upload the best take.

Finally, don't upload anything where you have to make excuses. I for one rarely view videos where the announcement says "There's some good stuff about two minutes in and then it gets boring and then a minute later there's some more good stuff." Make me grin with your video and I'll try to do the same with mine.