Re: [Harp-L] making youtube vids

gg,

  The most important component of youtube videos seems to be content.  If you make the concept relatable, then people will watch and enjoy. Having seen you teach, I'm sure whatever content you choose will impress the youtube harp audience.  If it's not an instructional vid, novelty seems to impress folks, too.

   Technically, I use  a mini DV camera.    I record to tape, then upload with a firewire cable.  The sofware that came with the camera works fine for the upload.

  I try to bring more lighting into the room so my vids aren't too dark. I think I've washed myself out a few times, though.  I also have had some problems with my wardrobe/hair/makeup department.  (Problem is: I don't have one).

  I've experimented with different audio setups. Sometimes, it's just the camera (latest vids).  I tried a crappy sony stereo mic("beginner" vid) when all my other stuff was packed away from moving.  I've used my (better) powered sony stereo mic (early videos).  Sometimes, I've used my MD player to control mic levels.

  I have even patched the whole thing into my PA system, then back through the MD (for level control) and into the camera.  I was able to patch in my iPod, a vocal mic for talking, and a mic/pre-amp/effects loop for amped harp-like sound (octave video).  I did this because I can't crank the stereo, or play amplified in my current apartment.

  I think Jason's videos sound great.  I think he's just using built in web-cam-type stuff.  Maybe simple is better (as long as you don't clip).

  I don't think any of mine sound all that good  (I like to experiment, though).  The audio does synch up, and I think that's important.  I use Windows movie maker, then write the finished file to a size that youtube will accept.  It's pretty easy.

  Another key to youtube (IMOH) is in your choice of keywords for the description.  Some folks take this to an extreme, like bands that put in other, great bands' names in their keywords.  They hope that if you search the real guys, you'll get them too. I think that's underhanded.  If you include your name, the relevant words, like," harmonica, harp, innovative, lesson", etc, you'll get good hits.

  For content:
  -Explaining your vibrato would be cool
  -Your sense of musical tension (avoiding landing on the root exercise) really affected me.
  -I also think some of your general musical outlook (overblow from the start)might positively influence.

  I look forward to watching your vids,

  Dan G.

  "12gagedan" on youtube.  I can't believe I just passed 300k total views. (if I had a nickel. . .)

groovy gypsy <groovygypsy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  can someone please tell me the best way to make a youtube vid? Just
play to the camera and upload or do I need a little a/v studio with
Adobe Premier and After Effects etc?

I have a bit of for the next couple of weeks, I thought I might make a
few vids for you guys.

If you have suggestions for topics please let me know.

Thank you

gg