Re: [Harp-L] Tulsa Read's Country & Bluegrass SPAH Seminar

Off-hand, I would simply suggest some things by Flatt & Scruggs, Ralph
Stanley, Bill Monroe, and the like and probably some Hank Williams, Bob
Wills, and such like that.  We will take suggestions from those in the jam,
as well as play things that we may know, so you can bring a few tunes with
you that you like.  (It never hurts us to learn new tunes if you can lead
the tune on your instruments to get things going.)  If it is classic country
or bluegrass, Lonnie or I or both of us may already know it or have a clue
how to support it.  If we put a list of tunes together between us for the
jam, I will try to remember to pass it on for those who may be interested.

A good source of potential tunes would be on the Bluegrass Jam DVD (
http://www.texasmusicsupply.com/bluegrass-jam-session.html).  This DVD shows
a bluegrass band playing lead and back-up, leaving a turn for the viewer to
do their lead while the band plays back-up.  It is a great opportunity to
try getting into and out of tunes in a jam situation and to try learning
licks from the other instruments, or to simply get used to hearing the tunes
presented on the DVD.  There are 15 good tunes, generally common to jam
sessions, on the DVD.

Lonnie Joe's CDs (
http://www.texasmusicsupply.com/cds-by-lonnie-joe-howell.html) and some of
Charlie McCoy's CDs (www.charliemccoy.com) might also suggest tunes for the
jam, as well as the Manchaca All Stars CD (
http://manchacaallstars.tripod.com) (my bluegrass band) - if you have any of
these to review.

Some good tunes to consider for the jam might include:
Lonesome Road Blues
Sitting Alone in the Moonlight
I Saw the Light
I'll Fly Away
Old Joe Clark (http://harmonica2.tripod.com - tab and mp3 available)
Arkansas Traveler
Foggy Mountain Breakdown
New River Train
Beaumont Rag
Draggin' the Bow (fiddle and harmonica can be heard on Manchaca All Star CD)
Country Roads (John Denver)
Faded Love
Stay All Night
Columbus Stockade Blues
Rocky Road Blues
Homestead on the Farm
Old Home Place (Dillards)
Blackberry Blossom
Sally Goodin
Dark Hollow
Cripple Creek
Footprints in the Snow

I will try to bring some word books to help out where we cannot remember the
lyrics, but the range of possible material tends to be extensive, so you
will have the ability to bring the tunes you like to the jam.  If I find my
"slow jam" sheets, they may be useful.  Some of the tunes in them are
already mentioned above.

I hope that information helps.

Cara