Re: [BluegrassHarp] Re: [Harp-L] Tulsa Read's Country & Bluegrass SPAH Seminar

Unfortunately, no -- not exactly.  The genre is largely learned by ear, by
everyone, so your best source is a recording -- the DVD I mentioned, a Flatt
& Scruggs recording, etc. -- or other players who already know the tune you
wish to learn and can play it for you.  If you read notation, fiddle tunes
can be learned from books, including at least one fake book, but guitar,
banjo, and mandolin is usually recorded in tab, so you have to learn tunes
in tab on the appropriate instrument and transfer it to the instrument on
which you want to play it.  (It is not uncommon for bluegrass players to be
multi-instrumentalists.)

There are important things to know as you listen to the recordings:
1. Banjos generally tend to play some melody and a lot of
fill/rhythm.  There are some melodic players, like Alan Munde (Country
Gazette), but they obviously play melody, so recognizing the difference
shouldn't be difficult.
2. Fiddles often play the melody and embellish.  They can be very helpful
instruments to follow when you wish to learn a tune.
3. Mandolins also often play the melody, but they do not always.  They
sometimes come off as a bit of a cross between the banjo and the fiddle -- a
mixture of melody and rhythm.  An important thing to learn from mandolin is
how to support the off-beat, but they can provide other ideas as well.
4. Generally, it is best to listen to how all of the instruments play the
tune to get a good, solid grounding on the general sound of the tune and the
licks that may be important to the tune.  Once a general melody has been
identified, work with that as the path.  Embellishments will come over time
as you hear licks on the different instruments that work in the tune on the
harmonica.

As to "Foggy Mountain Breakdown", it is a banjo tune.  That means that the
melody of the tune is primarily based on the activity over the chord
changes, and may appear general or indistinct.  If you listen to the overall
sound of the banjo while it plays the tune, you will get the general idea of
the path of the tune; but don't listen so closely that you get caught up in
the 3-finger picking (most of which is support or fill for the tune).  If
the fiddle plays on it, it may play several alternate versions that are just
as valid and can provide ideas which will work well on the harmonica.  The
mandolin may also provide similar ideas as the fiddle.  As long as the
version you pick up from listening to the other instruments works well over
the chord changes (in time, etc.), you will probably be on target.

In contrast, something like "Old Joe Clark" or "Arkansas Traveler" is a
fiddle tune.  They have distinctive melodies unlying their embellishments
and are often similarly played on each instrument.  Fiddle tunes can be
found in notation in a variety of books.  Both of these tunes can also be
found in Glenn Weiser's "Irish and American Fiddle Tunes for Harmonica".

I hope this information helps a little.  Learning to listen for melodies or
melodic paths in the recorded music is a skill worth developing and is very
necessary to learning bluegrass on any instrument.  If you come to SPAH, I
will be glad to spend a little more time with you on "Foggy Mountain
Breakdown".  Bring a recorder of some sort so that we can record a couple of
good versions for you to try.  The melodic path of the tune is really very
simple, but the banjo can make it sound much more complicated.

Cara