Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Harmonicas and Airport Security...

No!...Never, never, never check them....  (that's for me, anyway..your
mileage may vary ...)

... because of one horrible trip to a Convention when the plane was a  lot
smaller than I'd realized (I didn't make the reservation)..was forced to  climb
up from the tarmac and couldn't because the bag was just too heavy to
maneuver. They insisted it be checked.  I hadn't packed my harp  'bag' (have a
sturdier case now) very carefully within the  carry-on at that time, assuming it
would be with me... so had to  watch from the plane as they FLUNG my carry on
with the harps onto a cart  and then into the plane.  None of them played
properly at that  convention...reeds misaligned or windsavers curled on almost every
chromatic.  I won't make that mistake twice.

No matter how heavy my small harp case is, it goes into my carry-on luggage
and up into the overhead bin. I might carry an 'extra' chromatic..usually my
260  or even the Super 64 in my one purse/bag which stays at my feet..it's
usually a good 'hint' to the checkers that the ones in the bags they're
screening  are indeed, harmonicas.

 I further pre-empt any problem ...as soon as my things are   on the conveyor
belt...by calling over to the first checker 'case of harmonicas  coming
through'.  It usually sparks some interest..and I've even had them  call to each
other down the line, once: "harmonicas coming  through!"....that was funny.   I
wear a small silver harp on a chain  around my neck...have two stickers on my
carry-on bag:  "Support  the Arts: Kiss a harmonica player" and "Harmonicas
Rock"   - all  designed to get the point across.  It's worked so far..

They have occasionally opened my harp case to take a look (it's two-layered
so they want to see the bottom row), but it's quick and they've zippered
everything back up for me, while I'm gathering my stuff together.   Haven't yet
required playing of any.

Everything else goes into the checked bag...including my harp
cleaning/tweaking kit with a small bottle of rubbing alcohol, MAAS metal  cleaner, tools,
picks, etc...it has a clear plastic front..face up...with a  label 'harmonica
cleaning kit', so they don't think it's anything untoward. My  checked luggage
has been searched only once.... found clothing I hadn't yet worn  with oil
stains (presumably from being dumped on the ground, or somewhere else I  can't
fathom)....figured it was the cleaning kit which prompted the  search.  The last
couple of trips have been uneventful, now that I  have a working system.

Today they're more focused on those carrying electronic equipment on board:
videocameras need to be out of their cases to be shown, laptops opened up,
etc.  The camera is more of a pain than the harps.

Elizabeth

Message: 4