Re: [Harp-L] Suzuki ProMaster Video Up

http://www.youtube.com/SuzukiHarmonicas:

Rick wrote: "Would a standard type blues player like me have to
adapt to a new technique to play these valved harps,eg embouchure?
Also is there a Suzuki dealer in NZ?"

The embouchure is the same Rick, but the blowing is a bit different. All
your normal draw bends in the lower 2 octaves and blow bends in the top
octave are achieved exactly the same way, and sound the same. You need
to adjust your attack slightly on the blow notes in the lower 2 octaves
and the draws in the top end. If you play these as forcefully as you
might on an unvalved harp, they could blank out.

However, it only takes 10 minutes of playing to get the feel of the
half-valved harp. Once you do, you'll discover a whole new world of
expression on the 10 hole diatonic! The valved notes are purer and
louder than on an unvalved harp; in my view they balance up the tone and
volume, because on an unvalved harp the high-pitched reeds in each hole
are stronger and purer than the low-pitched notes. Without valves, the
low pitched reeds are breathier and less crisp. This is especially
noticeable in the bottom octave, where a lot of air escapes through the
draw reed slot when you blow.

The valves make both reeds in each hole sound equally strong and, once
you get the feel of the breath required, you can really start to wail on
the low notes in each hole, impossible on an an unvalved harp. This
could just be in the form of bending up or away from your home pitch or,
as PT Gazell does so well, actually bend those valved reeds to the
missing chromatic notes to play jazz. This is difficult to control, but
he's shown it CAN be done... :)

I especially like the ability to add a true pitch vibrato to EVERY reed
on the half-valved diatonic - again, something impossible on a normal
harp.

Of course, overblows/overdraws are not possible on a half-valved harp,
but what you lose in one way you gain in a different area. Once you get
accustomed to the half-valved harp, an ordinary diatonic sounds like
it's missing half its soulfulness...

That's just my opinion, and I know it's a minority one in a community
that is very hooked into tradition. But I recommend any diatonic player
looking for something fresh to give them a whirl.

The Suzuki dealer in NZ is Musicways:
http://www.musicways.co.nz/customer/home.php?cat=218

----------------------

Larry wrote: "I also play the Suzuki valved diatonics. I prefer valved
diatonics to
OB/OD because I find it more flexible, but I have had some problems with

weak reeds and valves getting stuck. Also, I have problems playing fast
in the upper register of the instrument."

Valve sticking is an issue, but it's quite easily fixed. Just trim the
valve right back to the end of the reedslot, and this should cure it. If
you want to reduce the valve's footprint even more (to counter capillary
attraction from breath moisture) you can trim the sides of the valve to
make it narrower.

The main problem valves for sticking are the outside ones on the top
four holes. These are easy to deal with, as you only have to remove the
coverplates to work on them. They are the ones that could be causing
your problems.

As far as playing fast in the top octave goes, if it's not caused by
sticking valves, it could be down to reed gaps. If you're a strong
player, increase the gaps on the reeds that blank out. Gaps on a
half-valved harp can be wider than on an unvalved one.

If you want to hear half-valved harps in action, check out the clips
from the brand-new album BACK TO BACK, featuring PT Gazell and myself.
PT plays half-valved mostly Seydel diatonics, I play half-valved Suzuki
chromatics:

http://www.ptgazell.com/

http://www.brendan-power.com/

Cheers,