Re: [Harp-L] Voice problem

On Jul 24, 2008, at 2:16 PM, Steve Shriver wrote:

Has anyone ever experienced (or heard of) vocal problems due to harp
playing? I have been playing harp for a long time (I’m 50), but over the
last couple years I stepped it up considerably, singing and playing with a
band on a regular basis, and taking lessons from Carlos del Junco. Since
about last December, I have had increasing difficulty with my speaking
voice, which feels not so much hoarse as strained, like I need to use a lot
of muscle power to get the sound out. My (so called) friends tell me I sound
kind of like a Muppet, though to me I sound more like Patrick the Starfish
from Sponge Bob Squarepants. I make light of it, but it’s actually pretty
uncomfortable.
I spoke to a vocal coach, who said I should see an ear, nose, throat doctor
to rule out nodes, etc. which I did. He stuck the tube down my throat and
looked at my cords, said they looked inflamed but otherwise healthy, and
prescribed an anti-acid reflux med, which I took for a month. Didn’t seem to
have any effect other than setting me back a few hundred dollars. I haven’t
totally ruled out the acid reflux thing, but I’m not sure what else to do
about it at this point.

You're playing in too high a key for your natural voice. You're straining. Over a period of time, you can get a voice to go higher, but there's a limit.

I try to practice good vocal technique- breathing, singing from the
diaphragm, etc, though I do sing loud and our material includes a lot of
pretty raspy blues rock stuff. I had a period of about two months where the
band wasn’t playing, and I wasn’t singing much then, and that didn’t seem to
improve the condition.
So I’m wondering if there’s a possibility that my harp playing, specifically
choking and throat vibrato, might be affecting my vocal cords in a negative
way. Has anyone ever heard of this??

Your harp can't possibly be using the force you are using for singing. Back off a little .
smo-joe

-- Steve