From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp L Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 3:23:47 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Prewar Hohner star I've never seen before, this is awesome.

David -

I've heard the florette or rosette pattern mentioned before by harmonica historian Richard Martin as predating the six-pointed star. Martin thought (and here I'm recalling a casual conversation dating from something like 12 years ago) thought that the rosette pattern dated from early in the 20th centry. Other details of the covers might assist in dating the harmonica - shaping of cover curvature and back edge of the covers, "ear" tabs, etc.

There was also a five-pointed star (no-one knows the reason for either star, but Martin opined that the number of points on the star represented the number of Matthias Hohner's son involved in the business at a given point in time).

Winslow