Re: [Harp-L] Blues Vibrato

Wolf;
         Regarding 'My apologies to the non-blues harmonica players for this fairly long post about a blues harmonica technique. '
         Any technique on the harmonica is 'harmonica technique' and not necessarily 'blues technique'. Any discussion on any technique is alright by me. Also, any technique can be 'blues technique' if it sounds good.
RD

>>> Wolf Kristiansen <wolfkristiansen@xxxxxxxx> 29/07/2008 12:45 >>>
I've been convalescing since the beginning of June after cracking my head, helmetless, in a bicycling accident.  I'm back on the computer now.  My brain still works.

This is all by way of apologising for a late comment on the issue of vibrato.  There have been lots of posts this month on this perennial topic.

I have my own thoughts, and likes, when it comes to vibrato.  I like what I call "blues vibrato", tied, no doubt, to my lifelong passion for the blues.

Stellar examples of this kind of vibrato can be found in these songs--
Howlin' Wolf-- Sittin' on Top of the World
Howlin' Wolf-- Nature
Howlin' Wolf-- My Country Sugar Mama
James Cotton-- Blues In My Sleep a.k.a. 'Fore Day Creep

Have a listen to those songs if you have the right Howlin' Wolf and James Cotton lps, tapes, cds or mp3s lying around. ("The Real Folk Blues" and "The Best of the Verve Years".

The vibrato is characterized by a slow oscillation and a fairly wide variation in pitch-- at the flat point, it really goes flat.  In fact, often times when it goes back up to true pitch, it doesn't quite make it-- it's still a bit flat.  (My ears tell me this; not a tuner). I don't mind; it sounds great to me.  It's most apparent when the musicians are hitting the key note; i.e. the number two draw hole.

The exception is "Nature", where Howlin' Wolf is playing in first position but still manages to insert a beautiful bluesy vibrato.

I had the pleasure of playing in warm-up bands for James Cotton in the mid-to late 70s.  I asked him about his vibrato.  I asked him how he got that "deep throbbing sound" with his harmonica.  He said simply, "That's country harp.  That's how we play it at home".

It seemed the simplest concept to him, but I spent years learning it.  I like to think I've gotten close.  It brings incredible life to your notes; remembering it's not always appropriate to use it.

My apologies to the non-blues harmonica players for this fairly long post about a blues harmonica technique.  I do like all kinds of music, and all kinds of harmonica, but always come back to blues.

Cheers,
wolf kristiansen