Re: [Harp-L] Jason Ricci judging Mid Ohio Valley HarmonicaChampionshipin Sept. all invited to come

No worries Dave; I guessed, in fact,  that you were using '12 bar' as a way of saying 'easy', which is what most others probably read. I just can't help being picky, that's all!
Cheers,
RD

>>> David Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 2/06/2008 10:09 >>>
Rick,

I have typed in error.

Dave

----- Original Message ----
From: Rick Dempster <rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: David Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; Harp L Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 1, 2008 8:06:26 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Jason Ricci judging Mid Ohio Valley Harmonica Championshipin Sept. all invited to come

"Bluegrass is basically blues with fiddles... I'm picking out some 12-bar bluegrass standards like "Sitting on Top of the World" and fun stuff like "Momma don't allow no harp playing here."
.........except that the two tunes you mention here are 8 bar forms, not 12 bar. 'Momma don't allow' is in the form of 'The Saints' or 'She'll be coming around the mountain', which is a gospel form; though you might argue that 12 bar blues is as well. i wouldn't tell the bass player to play 'a blues' if I was going to do  'Momma don't allow' .
RD

>>> David Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 1/06/2008 13:33 >>>
This September, now confirmed... Jason Ricci is coming up to West Virginia to judge the harmonica championship I'm putting on the afternoon of Sept 20 in Belleville, WV, on the Ohio River between Parkersburg and Ravenswood.
Two songs, five minutes, you can play by yourself or with one accompanist.
There will be some harp performances as well. Started off as just a concert with my bands, me on the harp with The Elk River Bluegrass Boys, the competition playing, then me and my cousin Roger Adkins, The Deadliners acoustic blues duo... but when Jason was in Parkersburg Thursday/Friday, he said he'd play a little with us.... So now, you'll get to hear Jason Ricci and The Elk River Bluegrass Boys.
There's one more great celebrity judge who has agreed to come, but I've not talked to him in a while, so I better ask again out of respect for him to make sure before I say anything.
Who knows, maybe this could be a watershed event for Jason, he could be so moved he has Buckweed get a bass fiddle and Starsky get a Martin D-28 and tour as Jason Ricci and his Bluegrass Boys. Bluegrass is basically blues with fiddles... I'm picking out some 12-bar bluegrass standards like "Sitting on Top of the World" and fun stuff like "Momma don't allow no harp playing here."
Seriously, we're glad/proud to have him come up. I'm really pumped about this.
The competition is part of the Belleville Homecoming... a pretty awesome event by itself, waternelon-seed spitting contests, cross-cut sawing contests, ATV races, pie-eating contests, etc.

Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com