[Harp-L] re: Seydel design ripped off!

Dave Payne wrote:

"Well, the crime I'm reporting happened probably 90 years ago;) "

Or is non-existent. My first reaction would be to assume that this is a "stenciled" instrument, ie, made by Seydel for a distributor, competitor or the like and given that companies name rather then Seydel's. This was very common, thus earning it's own term, "stenciled". This was very common with pianos, reed-organs and guitars, so I see no reason not to assume it was at least somewhat common with harmonicas as well. Since this seems to correspond to a specific Seydel design in other idiosyncracies (five-hole size, etc...) I would be surprised if this wasn't a "stencil" rather than a separate company.

Moreover, sales literature from the late 19th and early 20th centuries was over-the-top at best. Most companies claimed that their products were being stolen, copied and imitated by lesser manufacturers (often ranting against either their own products stenciled for others or against the manufacturers from whom the bought the items they stenciled, depending on which side of the equation the ranter was on) and that they were the one true innovators. Very few of these claims have any significant merit, as they ignore both the nature of markets and were more often than not simply propaganda.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'