From: Jonathan Ross <jross38@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, June 1, 2008 8:37:16 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] re: Seydel design ripped off!

Dave Payne wrote:

"Well, the crime I'm reporting happened probably 90 years ago;) "

Or is non-existent.  My first reaction would be to assume that this
is a "stenciled" instrument, ie, made by Seydel for a distributor,
competitor or the like and given that companies name rather then
Seydel's.  This was very common, thus earning it's own term,
"stenciled".  This was very common with pianos, reed-organs and
guitars, so I see no reason not to assume it was at least somewhat
common with harmonicas as well.  Since this seems to correspond to a
specific Seydel design in other idiosyncracies (five-hole size,
etc...) I would be surprised if this wasn't a "stencil" rather than a
separate company.

Moreover, sales literature from the late 19th and early 20th
centuries was over-the-top at best.  Most companies claimed that
their products were being stolen, copied and imitated by lesser
manufacturers (often ranting against either their own products
stenciled for others or against the manufacturers from whom the
bought the items they stenciled, depending on which side of the
equation the ranter was on) and that they were the one true
innovators.  Very few of these claims have any significant merit, as
they ignore both the nature of markets and were more often than not
simply propaganda.

  ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'