Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harlem Nocturne

Rick,
Thanks. I had been fooling around w/ the opening on diatonic. I don't play chromatic very well. I get around on a diatonic fairly proficiently, but I don't do overblows.
The biggest problem I have w/ chromatic is, when improvising, I lose track of what hole I am on, and if /when I hit the slide on the wrong note it's usually a disaster. On a diatonic, each hole has a different "feel" in the mouth, so it's relatively easy for an experienced player to know what hole is being played, even when improvising at fast tempo. On a chromatic, all of the intervals are the same, so all holes have the same "feel" and my ear is not sufficiently developed to always know where I am by sound alone.
I suspect practicing this tune on chromatic from tab would be good for me, but probably very challenging for someone of my limited ability on chromatic. Are there so many overblows for this tune on a diatonic that it would not be possible to approximate the melody w/o the overblows? Sometimes I am able to do passable approximations on diatonic in order to play some material that would require overblows to be played with absolutely correct precision. Can one get "close enough" to the melody on diatonic w/o overblows for this tune for it to remain recognizable? What do you think?
JP