[Harp-L] Which Minor?

Chris Canning wrote:

I'm just starting to focus on my scales now that I can overblow (1 overblow still eludes me). I'm
wondering about minor scales. The natural minor seems to get alot of attention because you can lever
off your major scales. I'm wondering if the Melodic Minors might give me more improvisational bang
for my practice buck (if you know what I mean). Any thoughts? I thinking in terms of blues/rock/swing
styling.

  A harp needs to be properly set up to get hole 1 OB, so u might want to buy a customized harp that
you know is capable of it.  A few years ago I bought one from Rupert Oysler for this reason and at
that time he suggested I approach the OB with a mouth cavity like I had a hot potato in my mouth
(trying to cool it off by breathing out). Even with that advice and a properly set up harp, the 1
hole OB eluded me for a while. My interpretation of what Rupert meant was that the hole 1 OB comes
from quite a bit farther back in the throat compared the other OB's.
  Re scales, check out Jason Ricci's instructional videos on ytoutube.com, in which he has some excellent
coverage of scales.  Sorry i don't have the actual link for you.
ron