To: <kenneth.d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2008 6:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] clapton

I think we are giving Clapton a bad rap where the harp is concerned.
First, he played early on with a few different harp players, Sonny boy Williamson
being one, and John Mayall being another.
His recording 'From the Cradle' features alot of the old Muddy Waters band
featuring Jerry Portnoy on harp. He also used Jerry on a few tours in his band
after this recording.
He is a guitar player, writing and performing guitar
generated rock/blues for many years, not primarily a harp driven music
(Let's not forget Jack Bruce played harp on some Cream recordings)
Lastly, in the Blind Faith band Clapton did cover Sam Myer's tune
'Sleeping in the Ground'. When Sam was still alive, when we did a benefit
to raise money for Sam's hospital expenses, a representative of Clapton's
called me and Clapton sent a 2K donation.
He may not prefer harp in his band, I don't know, but he has done quite
a bit for it in his musical lifespan.
HB

i have heard more than one say that clapton doesn't really care for
the harp.