To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 7:57 AM
Subject: Re: Re: [Harp-L] note refusing to sound after cover plates areattachedd

Credit for the titanium comb should go to Mark Lavoie
(http://www.middlebury.net/lavoie/).

-tim

MundHarp wrote:

I have to disagree...
I LOVE the MS system.
The parts are interchangeable and they are simply louder and more
powerful
than the old HM system....
My current set of diatonic's are ALL MS system, mostly with
Meisterklasse
combs, or with a variety of stainless steel combs, even a couple with
titanium
combs from Tom Moyer... ( THE BEST THERE IS!) OK I have some plastic
and other
combs  in wood (dousie), a GREAT improvement on the pear wood HM
series...
OK
THAT WORKS FOR ME!
I play too loud most of the time anyway....
But my favorite harp is an MS Meisterklasse set of reed plates, Blues
Harp
cover plates and Tom Moyer Titanium, or various other stainless
combs...
But my harps are MUCH louder than the old  1960s or 1970's Marine
Bands or
Blues Harp HMs... AND THEY DON'T rip my lips to bits! HEAVEN...
Back in the 1960s I'd buy boxes of a dozen 10 hole "Echo Super
Vampers"
Identical to "Marine Bands"... at each time in every key, they blew
out  within an
hour and ripped my lips to piecies.... Then I chucked them away. But
then
Hohner UK stopped agreeing to sell me harps wholesale... That put my
playing
back YEARS.... I now simply use Hohner because I like them. Back in
the  1960's
they didn't care about harmonicists because they had a monopoly! (In
Great
Britain anyway!)
40 years later, It takes me a month to blow out a diatonic. Perhaps
I'm now
a better player? BUT I DONT think so. I think it's because these days
the
harps  are MUCH better.
Hohner and PARTICULARLY custom harmonicas have never been so good as
those
that are available today...
Sorry about the rant, but I'll never forgive Hohner UK for preventing
me, a
pro harp player, from buying instruments wholesale!...
What it's now 40 years later...
Jeezzzz   HOW can I ever forgive them?
Am I that old?
John "Whiteboy" Walden