Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Standing at the crossroads - LONG (skip if not interested)

Because we're fellow Scots, Richard, I have to chime in.  It's  actually just
a wee bend in the road  ;)  not quite a major  crossroads.

I began in a wee store in Saltcoats on holiday at age 4 with what was
probably a Hohner Echo..played Scotland the Brave all the way through  (astonishing
everyone in my family who had no idea there was any musical talent  whatsoever
in the family). Until I was 14 I alternated between getting  Echos and 260
chroms (gave me the extra notes I craved - since I knew  nothing (and still
don't) about bending, or any other 'technique' on the 'mouth  organ'), for
Christmases and the occasional birthday.  I never knew  regular diatonics existed,
just naturally gravitated to the chromatic (while  still loving the sound of the
Echos...probably because of their similarity  to the bagpipes).To me they
were both just different harmonicas to achieve  my ends, without any real
knowledge of the differences.  Never had a  lesson, never met another player.

Gave up playing when I came to NY at age 14.  Picked it up again  (on another
Echo, no less) in 2002.  Immediately knew I needed a chromatic  to play the
music I wanted:  Jazz mostly, Classic Rock &  R&B...Pop Ballads and Standards.

For you, I'd strongly suggest giving a chromatic a try.  While  chromatics
ARE expensive...one can get the occasional good buy on EBay (my  first CX-12 in
C was bought almost brand-new there last year for $70 (here  in the States).

My main chrom however is a 16 hole Hohner Super 64..it gives me all of the
notes, a silver-plated mouthpiece, and a gorgeous tone, but I'm very glad I
discovered the CX-12's in different keys.  I've been bitten by the  'collecting'
bug as well (as so many of us are).  Besides many other  chromatics, I have
(and play) them in Bb, A and F as well as C and am  about to get a G and D as
well.

There's absolutely no reason why a chrom player cannot have these 12 hole
chroms to play in different keys the way a diatonic player does.   (The
chromatic of choice for studio players is probably still the 270 12  hole Hohner ...in
all of its different keys, regardless of what the purists tell  you about
learning to play 'everything' on one Key of C chromatic).  Many  of us don't
agree, since there is no (should be no) hard and  fast 'rule' when it comes to
music, and it should be all about what pleases  YOU, makes YOU happy, and gets
you where you want to go with your music...and  besides, some anecdotal stories
are now coming out about how some of those  'purist' old-time players
concealed the fact that they had specialized 'other  keyed' instruments made for them
by Hohner.

Too many people hand out pronouncements based on their perception of  the old
Larry Adler days of 'how it should be' about harmonicas, while  I don't see
the same type of dictatorship given to pianists or guitar  players.  However
one plays is however one plays...upside down, sideways,  standing on one's head,
(swinging on a star) ..... the options are endless.  ;)

Jason Ricci (for instance) ...who plays overblows the way very few will  ever
be able to achieve, loves the sound, feel and handling of the CX-12  chrom.
Played mine at SPAH 2007 (incredibly well, I might add)  and looked for one
afterwards.  He loved the fat button, the very  short throw and the ease of
dismantling for cleaning.  This is  probably the one instrument that seems to fit
the bill for diatonic players  making the transition to chromatics (especially
because it comes in various  keys) and die-hard chromatic players alike.

True...right now they're selling (new) in the $175 range.  That's  fairly
steep.  You might be able to find them for less if you're  willing to sterilize
and clean up one someone else gave up trying to  learn. It's not that
difficult. There is a ton of information about how to  clean and maintain chromatics
available online and on the two major harmonica  lists...and other specialized
harmonica sites. Ask, and you shall be  helped.  We are a helpful and friendly
lot.

Once you just put it to your mouth and 'play the damned thing'  i  think you
might be pleasantly surprised by the sound you'll achieve.  Put  on some music
you like (I sit with my computer radio station (Jazz or  Classic Rock mostly)
and play along)..you'll figure out how it works and  put aside your diatonic
'thinking'.  You can still bend on  chromatics...in fact, it sounds great.
Afterwards, you'll play your  diatonics just as if you never left them. Your
brain makes the transition..one  won't override the other.  Most people who
learned chromatics after  diatonics STILL play their diatonics very well, switching
easily from one to the  other (at the Conventions I've attended) and carrying
both in their harp  cases.  There are also a ton of teaching Book/CD's out
there you can learn  from, if that's easier for you than hands-on lessons.

Some people just naturally play more than one style of harmonica very  well.
Here are a couple of YouTube examples:

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzlaRAHwmq4_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzlaRAHwmq4)

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu8Jt7DKMOk_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu8Jt7DKMOk)

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4lBYzkW4kA_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4lBYzkW4kA)

In the first two he's playing Angel Eyes and Summertime on chromatic; in  the
3rd he's playing "After the Loving" on diatonic.

And just for an added treat...listen to his jazz runs on this version of
Green Dolphin Street....brilliant!

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iUNSJkPusM_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iUNSJkPusM)

Lastly, you don't need to devote the rest of your life (as you've  expressed
the same kind of concerns I had) to learning to read in order to play
chromatics.  I play everything by ear, despite having some years of  piano
instruction as a child.  I do not associate my reading music  from then with the
harmonica in any way, shape or form (for some reason my brain  separates the two).  I
never enjoyed reading music...so the purists want to  shoot me down for
speaking out about it.

My chromatic hero (besides SmoJoe) is Phil Caltabellota who plays  everything
by ear.  Hasn't ever needed to read to play as brilliantly as he  does.

He's the lead in this particular trio: The Society Boys (playing at GSHC,
November 2007).  How can one play better than this?:

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb9k-D5pScE_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb9k-D5pScE)

I agree that if one has the chance to learn to read music when young it's a
handy extra tool in one's arsenal, but I'm of the mindset that I'm not  going
to waste my time and limited energy at this point in the game struggling  to
learn something I don't like learning since it really would  detract from my
enjoyment of playing.  I've tried and it does.  (So  please folks, no
lectures...had enough of those).

 Music, the playing of it, the learning of it, should be whatever  works for
the individual. "Whatever floats your boat" is something  I've been saying for
a long time on Slidemeister.  Some agree, some  don't.  Doesn't bother me.
Playing any instrument is  as personal as is an embouchure or way of holding a
harmonica:  one  size does not fit all.

Above all..have fun! Make music which pleases YOUR ears. That's what it's
all about in the long run, isn't it?  Does it, will it make YOU  happy?  Then go
for it.

Enjoy!

Elizabeth