[Harp-L] Greatness goes unnoticed

I was surprised that Howard Levy's cameo on Prairie Home Companion last weekend went unobserved on harp-l. He once again augmented the show’s musical content with his usual brilliance, which as usual went unappreciated by Garrison Keillor. It happens every time he comes on: The other guests, usually of lesser accomplishment, get lavished with attention and airtime, while Howard plays in the shadows with little recognition. On last Saturday's show Keillor gushed more about house band regular Pat Donohue's guitars than about the virtuosic harp that made the songs soar. And when the spotlight was briefly cast on Howard, it was for a comedy sketch that trotted him out as a novelty act. The indignity! And the injustice. Here’s a musical genius who is the only one in the world (and history for that matter) to play the diatonic harmonica with such a profound degree of mastery, yet he’s denigrated as a mere sideman who goes unmentioned in the background.

But then apparently Keillor isn’t the only one neglecting Howard! Here at the harp-l chatterbox cafe, even harmonica enthusiasts didn’t take notice of their greatest pioneer performing on national radio. Given our instrument’s undervalued, underestimated, and underrepresented status in society, I’d think that any amount of media attention, however inadequate, would be celebrated. Of course, Howard’s sublime music should be reason alone to tune-in!

From the PR desk (merged with the editorial desk),

Ansel