[Harp-L] Standing at the chromatic

I'm the guy who submitted the post about the difficulties I experience trying to play the standard chromatic. The problem I have is not that I expect it to be the same as the diatonic. I know what the differences are and I have a reasonable understanding of how the chromatic works. BUT, if I'm improvising at a medium or fast tempo I tend to "lose my place." I'm frequently unable to keep track of what note I am playing by ear alone. And, if I hit the button at the wrong time, it's a mistake everyone in the room will notice.
I don't have a problem keeping track of where i am on the diatonic because 1) there are fewer holes on the diatonic and 2) since most of the intervals on a diatonic are different, each hole has a different "feel" in the mouth to an experienced player.
Other than ear training (which I could probably use) does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep track of where you are when improvising on a chrom at fast tempo?
JP