[Harp-L] Painted vs. Shiny (unpainted) coverplates

The effect that painted cover plates have on the tone of a diatonic harmonica is an overlooked topic.
Once upon a time (before Hohner came out with its MS harmonicas) the Special 20 and the Pro Harp were identical, except that the Pro Harp had black painted (or Greblon coated) covers. I always believed that the Pro Harp had a slightly darker, fatter and warmer tone than the Special 20. I'd always pay the slightly higher cost to get the Pro Harps. Other players told me I was crazy.
Fast forward to 2007. Being less and less enthusiastic about the MS harps, ( and unhappy with Lee Oskars), I bought a set of Suzuki Promasters last year (which happen to have shiny cover plates). I liked them, but I found the tone too bright and aggressive-- too "in your face" especially when amplified.
Then, this year, I bought a couple of Suzuki Hammonds (which have black painted covers) primarily because I just liked the way they looked. Surprise! The tone was darker, warmer and fatter than the Promasters. I asked Oz Leguizamo at Suzuki customer service about this. Oz told me that the Promasters and the Hammonds are made to identical specifications, but because the Hammonds have painted cover plates, the tone is darker. When I asked Antony Danecker what effect painted cover plates have on tone, he essentially confirmed what Oz had told me.
Painted vs, unpainted cover plates is not a topic that had received much attention, but I, for one, have a definite and long standing preference for painted covers. Now I pay more to get Hammonds, just like I used to pay extra to get Pro Harps. There is a subtle, but definite, difference in tone when a harp has painted cover plates. Sometimes, I used to wonder if it was just my imagination. But now, after talking to Oz and Antony, my belief has been validated.
I also prefer unvented cover plates, but that is an entirely different topic.

JP