From: mfugazzi67 <mfugazzi67@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Which tuning
To: mfugazzi67@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, June 24, 2008, 10:04 AM

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tim Moyer"
<wmharps@...>
wrote:

capt ron wrote:
> Great observation, thanks.  What tunings do people who play in 12
> position usually prefer - equal temperment?

Obviously, there's no one right answer.  The best temperament for a
tuning is probably best dictated by the style of the player.  The
original poster said he rarely used chords, and that he played in
different positions, but never mentioned 12th specifically.  I just
picked that as an example.  In another example, just intonation would
place the 2, 5 and 8 blow notes - E on a C harp and the tonic in 5th
position - something like 14 cents flat of 12TET.

Someone who rarely plays chords is not going to get a lot of benefit
from a temperament that optimizes the consonance of chords, but might
see some problems with the intonation of individual notes.  The
deviation from 12TET and where those notes fall in the scale will
make
that more or less of a problem.  Another issue might be the need to
double other chromatic instruments.  Those players would probably be
better served by 12TET.

-tim