Re: [Harp-L] Origins of the NeckRack

Yes, J. D. Short who left Clarksdale in 1923 and ended up playing the street
corners etc of Saint Louis in the 20's up to his death in 62'.  Straight
from the Delta in the first blues stylings and the fact that Samual Charters
recorded him in his run down kitchen in the ghetto along with interviews on
the CD makes  this probably the most meaningful recording I've ever
purchased.    He was Big Joe William's cousin.

There's the songster,  'Daddy Stovepipe',  who is credited with the first
harmonica recording ever in the early 20's.  He was born around 1868.
That's old!  There's a 1963 pic of him in Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey book
where he's playing a rack.  If his birthdate is correct he' be  95 years old
in 63'.

JD's CD is from "The Sonet BLues Story"