Re: [Harp-L] Tuning

John Walden wrote:
<About tuning.
<Most "pro" piano or harp tuners use their "ear"...
<OK
<They might use a tuning fork or an electronic tuner as a "guide"
<But honestly, USE YOUR EAR!
<If you have an ability in music you will KNOW when things are out of  tune.

I made my living tuning pianos for several years.  I have tuned pianos for, and worked with, many musicians who possessed perfect pitch.  I have yet to meet a musician who can distinguish between A 440, A 435, and A 443 without an external reference.  So for a start, some external reference tone is necessary to tell you whether you're tuning the harp to the desired reference pitch.  That is why piano tuners carry a tuning fork--to set the pitch on middle C before tuning other notes against that note, by listening for the beats.

Beyond the reference, in general, pro tuners do not rely on pitch perception.  They listen for the "beats" (the "difference wave") that results when two tones are close, but not identical, in pitch, and they tune one of the tones until the beats disappear (meaning that there is no longer any difference in the pitches).

When I tune my harmonicas now, I first make sure that the lowest notes are in tune by comparing them to an external source and listening for the beats.  Then I tune the upper notes against the lower by playing octaves and listening for the beats.

Regards, Richard Hunter
latest mp3s and harmonica blog on http://myspace.com/richardhunterharp