Re: [Harp-L] Ergonomic Neck Rack

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Moyer" <wmharps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:03 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Ergonomic Neck Rack

Vern Smith wrote:
Phil has hurt my tender feelings by failing to mention the
Ergonomic-Neck-Racks that have been available for six years now.
<snip>
3. Ability to hold either diatonic or chromatic harps.

It looks from the picture like the rack is designed to hold the harmonica by clamping the tabbed ends. I'm wondering how it works holding a harmonica (either chromatic or diatonic) that has full-length covers. Is it a problem to hold a harmonica like a Meisterklase chromatic or a Golden Melody diatonic?

-tim

Yes, Tim is correct. If you play Meisterklasse, Golden Melody, CX12 or other similar harps that hide the corners of the reedplates, the ENR is probably not for you.

There are two possible work-arounds, neither particularly attractive.

One is to drill holes in the covers of Golden Melodys or Maisterklasses to allow the clamp screws to bear against the reedplates. I assume that hardly anybody would want to do that.

The other is to cut the spring clamp off a conventional rack and attach it to the crossbar. This requires some metal cutting and drilling.

The ENR is modular and modification-friendly. To see (and hear) a modified ENR in use by Paul Oscher see http://www.pauloscher.com/ He supports a 16-hole chromatic and a big mic chamber on the sturdy neck yoke and side struts of the ENR. I worked with him through a couple of iterations (including his visit to my shop) to arrive at his present configuration.

Vern