Re: [Harp-L] challenged by Chromatic

Hey Sam,
Dave got it exactly right when he said "...I reckoned if I stuck the chrom in there a good ways and kind of curl the tongue down and use the wider part of the tongue..."
Yup. Get that chrom deeper into your mouth and use the flat of your tongue to block off the octaves. Play that pup like you got a giant ~smile~ on your face... After that it just takes practice.
I play octaves a LOT when using the chromatic. Octave play on the chrom is essential IMO, for blues guys (like me) to add volume and power to note choices. Yeah baby... get that harp ~IN~ there.
Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.

samblancato <samblancato@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  After following a recent thread on chromatics, I wanted to post about what I
am finding most frustrating right now - tongue-blocking octaves. I am a TB
diatonic player; I play TB in about 80% of my playing. But when I try to do
octaves on the chromatic I'm flummoxed. I just can't make a tight fit, let
alone even get clean octaves. So much of what I want to do is in octaves;
it just doesn't sound right to my ear without those fat octave tones.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh