Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harmonica Mexican

Rick,
         Thank's very much for taking the time to respond in detail to my musings. If you have any idea where I could get hold of 'early, ethnic harmonica recordings' (that's it exactly!) in any form at all, I'd be extremely grateful.
         I was searching last night through archives of Alan Lomax' recordings, and once again, was struck by the absence of harmonica, other than that recorded in the US, with a few odds & ends from the other predictable locations (UK etc)
         I wonder if even astute folklorists such as Lomax may have eschewed, say, a Zulu playing a  harmonica in favour of one playing a bamboo flute, because it didn't represent a 'pure' folk tradition. Perhaps not Lomax himself, but I can imagine the instrument in the early days of recording being regarded by academic folklorists as something of a post-industrial age 'pollutant'.
        I have listened to a great deal of ethnic music from all around the world over the years, and am struck,  by the dearth of recordings of an instrument so popular and cheap.
        The USA seems to have been open to recording the 'harp' for a couple of reasons: obviously there was a dollar to be made, and, as Calvin Coolidge had it 'The business of America is business'.
        But the idea that there would be a market for some field hand from Missippippi or wherever honking away on a tin toy is distinctly a US concept; "The century of the common man" - I think it was Henry Wallace - no other country seems to have made such an industry out of its vernacular music; I suspect that in other places, such as South America, where you might expect to find the harmonica in abundance, all types of bureaucracy, government, business, media, were probably bound by a more old world formalism, that would reject the idea of recording less sophisticated musical forms.
         But that may be drawing too long a bow. In the States, 'the poor', who would have been the prime market for the various forms of vernacular & regional music, weren't 'poor' like someone from Mexico, Brazil or Columbia. How often have I heard of farmers from Texas or wherever shelling out for a Jimmie Rogers record during the depression?
         Anyhow, I'm not going to break my neck, but I intend to quietly track down recordings of  'early, ethnic harmonica recordings' .
        That Zulu recording sounds very interesting (great pic too - thanks!) Can I get it from somewhere?
        I would like to contact Pat Conte who supplied the sides for the 'Secret Museum' series on Yazoo to see if he has any leads; he's a hard man to track down, however.
        Even among his available resources (the Yazoo CDs and the archived radio shows: http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/SM) there is precious little harmonica.

Thanks for reading the ramblings of

Your's Dementedly,

Rick Dempster,
Melbourne,
Australia

>>> "Rick Epping" <rickepping@xxxxxxxxx> 27/06/2008 1:43 >>>
Hi Rick,

Of course the harmonica survived and thrived in the USA, which really
adopted it as its own.  But even in the USA, I would dare say that some of
the existing diatonic accordion genres developed out of the harmonica.  One
interesting harmonica style that survived the introduction of the accordion
is that of the Amish, where the harmonica - to my knowledge exclusively the
Auto Valve - is often the only musical instrument permitted to be played.
The USA sells the vast majority of Hohner's Auto Valves and, based on
information from wholesale distributors, well over half of these are sold
into the Amish community.

At its peak, the harmonica was sold all over the world.  I've seen catalogs
from the 1920s with sections of models produced exclusively for South
Africa, South America, India, Australia, China, Japan, Great Britain and
Ireland, and most Western European countries.   I've also heard some nice
recordings of Zulu harmonica playing; here's a cool photo of a Zulu band
that includes a harmonica: http://www.mustrad.org.uk/graphics/zulus.jpg

The late Manfred Haug, former export manager for Hohner, told me of a Hohner
rep who, while visiting an African tribe, witnessed preparations for a rite
of passage, where the young, soon-to-be men were sent into the bush with
nothing but spear and loincloth.  He remarked that it must be lonely for the
boys out there, and wouldn't it be a good idea to give them a harmonica as
well, to help them pass the time?   So they did!  Models were produced for
Africa with long and short chains, to be worn, respectively, around the neck
and on the ear, as the tribal people had no pockets.

The dearth of early, ethnic harmonica recordings might be due to the
harmonica passing out of favor before the widespread introduction of
recording into these regions, or maybe harmonicas were played mostly by
non-professionals.  Or maybe some of those doing the recording didn't
consider the harmonica a serious musical instrument.  I've heard that the
harmonica got its start in Hollywood during a musician's strike; harmonica
players were not considered "real" musicians and were not permitted in the
Musician's Union, so they could be hired to work in the movies when no other
musician could.

Best regards,
Rick