RE: [Harp-L] Tommy Morgan - Good Vibrations

It seems it's become the hip thing to laud Brian Wilson as a genius but the fact is, he is. Its one thing to have such musical ideas but more importantly Wilson has the ability to get those ideas across to other musicians. And while  those ideas might be a little crazy: "This is a love letter to God with barking dogs, bicycle horns, bass harmonica, banjo, harpsichord and Barney Kessel plays the solo." he seems to have a knack for gaining musician's trust that will all work out and sound great in the end. Or maybe they were just nodding "Sure Brian." and just watched the clock tick by while they were all getting double and triple scale.

My favorite Wilson/Morgan collaboration is bass harmonica solo at about1:46 on "Hang On to Your Ego/I Know There's An Answer" from Pet Sounds. There is a lot of harmonica on the whole record and "SMiLE" as well. I saw Wilson perform one of the songs on TV with a HUGE band and the harmonica player played bass, chromatic and I think even diatonic all in the same song as well as conducted the whole band and chorus.

Ryan