Re: [Harp-L] Tommy Morgan - Good Vibrations

Might there be a harmonica player's remix of Pet Sounds and Smile possible for a sepcialty audience?

I was aware of Tommy's participation - a harmonica note pokes through very audibly in Good Vibrations, and his bass harmonica part on "I Know There's an Answer" is very prominent, but this sound like he was doing much more than I realized.

Interestingly, I was re-reading Kim Field's interview with Tommy the other day, and Tommy goes on about how harmonica blends almost transparently with bowed strings and woodwinds. Over the years I've heard and read similar comments from other session chromatic players many times. It kind of puts the lie to the idea that any time you include a harmonica in a tune it becomes a "harmonica tune" because it sticks out so much.

Winslow

Ken Deifik <kenneth.d@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Someone played me a bunch of assembly parts from the sessions for the Beach
Boy's Good Vibrations tonight.  There's every possibility that I have
listened to that recording more than any other over the last 40 years, but
even so I was surprised tonight to realize just how much Tommy Morgan is
playing on that record.

He's playing a bass harmonica and chromatic, I think, and as was par for
the course back then, it rarely sounds like harmonica.  (Changing the
sounds of instruments through all kinds of blends and mic placements was a
big deal in the 60's and nobody did it better than Brian Wilson.)

The thing that really surprised me probably won't surprise alot of people
on this list.  It's that mellow moment toward the end, starting at 2:45,
just before the voices come back in for that beautiful chord that leads
into the last chorus.

Tommy plays, in must be the highest harmonica register, A Ab A Ab A  C D
F.  I have only heard this passage several thousand times, just like you,
and it never occured to me that it was harmonica until tonight.  Yay Tommy
Morgan.

Now I've caught up with those of you who knew that.