[Harp-L] Blues in the Night

   Been meaning to respond this 2/29/08 post.  Have always dug this Harold
Arlen/ Johnny Mercer tune and enjoyed Phil's clip of it (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvX58c-7Q7U&NR=1). Thought the bass player
could've gotten a little more camera time, though, for obvious reasons.
Can't identify the harpist, probably a member of the band doubling on
harmonica.
   I know I'm going to regret this because I hate listening to my playing
even now, let alone 30 years ago.  But if you want to hear a radically
different version of this tune; punch up
http://www.myspace.com/liveatbananas and hit the "Blues in the Night"
selection.  You'll hear a terrific alto sax solo and a harp-sax unison riff
followed by a very cool guitar solo.  Then a decent rock and roll harmonica
solo by a young Mick Zaklan.  Johnny Mercer was probably spinning in his
grave when we uncorked this arrangement three decades ago.
   Do me a favor and don't play anything else on the site.  Original music
from the 70's never ages well.  Can't believe I did this.

Mick Zaklan