Re: [Harp-L] Blues in the Night

On Mar 2, 2008, at 9:34 PM, Mick Zaklan wrote:

Been meaning to respond this 2/29/08 post. Have always dug this Harold
Arlen/ Johnny Mercer tune and enjoyed Phil's clip of it (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvX58c-7Q7U&NR=1). Thought the bass player
could've gotten a little more camera time, though, for obvious reasons.
Can't identify the harpist, probably a member of the band doubling on
harmonica.
I know I'm going to regret this because I hate listening to my playing
even now, let alone 30 years ago. But if you want to hear a radically
different version of this tune; punch up
http://www.myspace.com/liveatbananas and hit the "Blues in the Night"
selection. You'll hear a terrific alto sax solo and a harp-sax unison riff
followed by a very cool guitar solo. Then a decent rock and roll harmonica
solo by a young Mick Zaklan. Johnny Mercer was probably spinning in his
grave when we uncorked this arrangement three decades ago.

I don't think Johnny would have disapproved. I was thinking of going out in the street and shooting myself in the head. I mean, what's the point of living anymore. I have heard THE difinative version of: 'Les Bleaus in Los Mala Noches' that could ever be. Now HERE'S the scary part.
I U N D E R S T O O D WHERE YOU WERE GOING TO GO WITH THIS.
Btw, that Zaklin kid (their spelling) kinda surprised me. Here I thought he was just another pretty face......my wrong

smokey-joe

Do me a favor and don't play anything else on the site. Original music
from the 70's never ages well. Can't believe I did this.

Mick Zaklan