From: Robert Ross <robertaross@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: March 2, 2008 2:33:42 PM PST
To: Paulharp@xxxxxxx, Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Harp Mic Repair Fees

Thanks for your reply, Paul. Actually, I agree with you at one level. But I should have mentioned that my new friend offered to pay. When he first asked I wasn't willing to accept the project (and responsibility for his lovely vintage JT30), but he insisted.

In addition, I just lost the job I was working at for the last 6
months. So though I would prefer to do this for free as I have a few
times before, I can't afford to turn away any income at all right
now. In addition, this guy is not only a successful musician, he is
extremely successful in his other businesses. As long as my work is
of professional quality, which I am told it is, isn't it fair to give
it some value? I just don't know how to establish what that value is,
so asked the folks on Harp-L for help. This isn't a commercial post,
I am not trying to promote myself and am not looking to more of this,
but if I need a little help to do it right, where else should I turn
besides Harp-L?

There are lots of guys on Harp-L that charge top dollar to top
quality work. Their work is clearly well worth it to the people that
pay high prices for their high-end boutique amps or custom mics. It
is in fact much appreciated by the harp community in general - nobody
really expects them to do that work for free. Even so, they usually
don't make much profit, but they do need at least not give away their
time.

My mother always says, when I am in struggling mode, that it's
because I give people too much of myself for free. I always responded
by telling her that I get more satisfaction out of helping people
than money could buy...but there are times perhaps that she could be
right. So I hope my request for a little info is taken in that
spirit.

Thanks,
Robert