[Harp-L] Magic Romero Li (Under the Radar)

I can't believe you brought up that name. And me her in NYC. Years ago I nearly accidently attended a Barrett Masterclasse. Outside many of the workshops and one of the theater concerts (If I'm remembering correctly) Magic was wheeling around a guy in a wheelchair. Feeling kind of peripheral I gravitated towards his very humble and friendly energy. I was embarrassed to play in front of him because he was such a wiz (especially on the Chromatic). Lee Oscar knew and seemed to love him. He was friends and lived close to Bill (his name for him) Clarke and his wife and he adored William's talent. We hung out the whole weekend and lit up when we saw each other. At a certain point in music (usually minor keyed and soulful for me) I become so engaged in the music that I transcend my self-consciousness. I was talking to Lee and Magic in the San jose hilton and an acoustic guitarist was kind of serenading us. Lee pulled out a harp, Magic pulled out a harp, and me (feeling about as happy and rightly placed in the world as I could feel): I pulled out a Golden Melody. I'll never forget what Magic said (in earnest) after played: "you're an accomplished player". I remember too because Lee stopped to hear me too and when i brought the harp from my mouth (which I tend to cup and overshadow with my hands) I tried to hide the make (GM) and he peeked around to look. He commented that GM's are good harps in his opinion. I was kind of hiding the GM because I had been developing a friendship with him all weekend without playing in front of him I thought he presumed i blew through his harps. A couple of years later Magic called me and for whatever reason I had at the time (divorce I think) I didn't ring him back. I can tell you that not only was (are) Magic and Lee talented and mellifluous with their harps but they LOVE music and are generous with their love when you speak the same language. Sorry for the ramble. That name galvanized a memory of being a musician amongst musicians. Part of a club I so wanted to be part of. d
http://www.myspace.com/blowintheblues