Re: [Harp-L] Old Boys' Network

Often the deal is that the person/band running the open jam is getting paid
by the bar owner who wants to see a $ return on his investment. The
coordinator of the jam wants the regulars up first so that they show up
repeatedly for more jams. Keeping the regular crowd of players happy and
returning translates into liquor sales for the bar owner, who then continues
to support the jam. I've played sooooooooooooo many open stages, all over
the country and planet, and I accept the usual routine because I know that's
the dope on how these jams run. If you return to the open stage regularaly,
at some time you too will have "paid your dues" and become part of the
"first up" crowd. Is it fair? No. Is it what keeps jams from folding? Yes.

Now, a good host will get his regular band up and out in, say, 45 minutes.
That keeps the non players in the audience happy as they get to see a slice
of a "regular" band gig. After that the sets of rotating groups, consisting
of people thrown together from the sign up lists get theiur chance at
varying lengths of time depending on the number of players in each set.

The problem is when whole bands come no to do a set and hog up the time, or
when there (and there usually is ) 500 guitar players who think this is
their solo moment of glory.

Some tips:
- If you can sing as well as play harp you will almost alwyas get up faster
than just listing harp.
- If you know how NOT to play over a vocalist, you will not get stabbed to
death. Unfortunately many MANY guitarists do not know this rule and still
seem to escape stabbings.
- There are many "Gus" players who don't know that being in the set, and on
the stage, is the only time it is acceptable to play. I've actually seem
guitarists plug into wall sockets in the audience, turn on their amps, and
start playing AT the players on the stage. Madnesss........