Re: [Harp-L] Old Boys' Network

As someone who developed his skills at  jams, I wanted to add a little to this discussion.

  The explanation a couple of posts back described the economic realities and some of the politics of why the new guy at a jam often has to wait.  In my mind, that reality is much easier to deal with if jammers stop looking at blues jams as a "right to play".

  People see this list, sign their name and expect some sort of fairness based on "first come, first served".  It's a privalege for an amateur to get up on a stage at a paying music venue.  It's not a right.

  In my experience, breaking into the clique takes time and the correct attitude.  If you seek out people and make friends, you will join the club sooner.  When you travel, you must be especially charming/friendly, and you should know how to "talk the talk" about the music and the harmonica.

  If you're really green, maybe it's better that you stay late, watching and learning.  I know I spent a lot of long nights at jams.  I earned my way into the club, and built skill in the process.

  Dan G.
  "12gagedan" on youtube