[Harp-L] Watermelon Slim and working the media

A while back we had a thread called "Exploiting the media" and I said exploit isn't the word for it, the less of a jackass you are to the media, the better off you'll be. Once you've met a good deal of musicians, celebrities, governors, senators, presidential candidates, presidents, etc., and most of us medai people have, don't impress easily any more, so the way to get the most media exposure is to be a genuinely nice guy.

The reason I'm mentioning this today, is  because I'm driving 35 miles (round trip) to interview Watermelon Slim and put his picture in the paper. THere's not a lot of guys I'd do that for, he is just such a great guy you want to be around him. You WANT to put him in the newspaper. Jason Ricci is also like that. They are both such great people.
Watermelon is playing tonight in Marietta, Ohio, at the River City Blues Festival. Watermelon is an amazing guy, you hear him talk and your first impression is Jethro pushed him off a turnip truck, you keep talking and figure out the man's a genius and very well educated. My last conversation, we talked about our own mortalities, fishing, prewar harps and Shakespeare. He knows quite a bit of Shakespeare, is fluent in French, etc.

Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com