[Harp-L] Old-school sound clip

As an initial exercise in mp3 encoding, I uploaded a five-year-old track labeled 8403MatchboxBluesMP3 to the harp-l parking area at http://groups.google.com/group/harp-l/ Scroll down to Files and it's probably still the first thing there. This is the guerilla invitational all-tube jam I used to do with friends on Monday nights at a local club. Harp is a 5Meg Astatic crystal into a 10w 2x10 1950 Bell twin-6V6 PA; vocals by the Mighty Orq, who has since gone over to the rock side of the Force, are either a ceramic Astatic or EV 623 into a 1954 25w 2x12 Bell PA (the good singers always wanted to sound like a drive-thru window, a clean mic sounds much cleaner than this). All four PA speakers are split out to the ends of the stage. The guitar intro and 2nd guitar solo are Orq's P90s into my dimed/bridged Harmony H305A, while the second guitar is Sam Massey from the Tony Vega Band's Tele into my 1954 National Stage Star. Both those amps are under 20w, old-school watts at that. Standup bass into a heretical SS rig is Larry Evans from Texas Johnny Brown's band, and rockabilly legend Red McKinney is putting the brushes on the drums.

The Ab harmonica is a customized Huang Star Performer, which is the only time I did that, but it's not a bad harmonica & refuses to die.

Possibly this gives some idea of what an electric blues band sounded like in a small club in 1954, though they would have played the music better back then & had more bodies in the house. Hey, Monday night, no advertising. I'm not going to leave this track up too long, working on some other stuff to post; hope this entertains & sheds some light on stage volume/dynamics discussions. If I ever do get my own band going, it will be a version of this, with a more eclectic song selection.

Stephen Schneider