Re: [Harp-L] Old Boys' Network (warning...long)

On Mar 15, 2008, at 3:35 PM, Frank Evers wrote

I agree with all what was written about economic realities and politics in this thread, BUT it's also a fact, that te clubs make you come by advertising their jam sessions and open stage!

There are several versions of these musical get togethers. 1... Open Jam 2... Closed Jam 3... Open Sit-In 4... Closed Sit-In 5... Invitation

I can't speculate on the rest of the world. but in my corner (behind the water pipes in the men's room at the north east corner of the Southern railroad station, Punta Gorda Florida), here's how it goes:
a... A musician (usually a keyboard), will approach a club owner about setting up a jam. There is a reason why jam is mentioned. The owner has probably already said that he can't pay a band. So, the keyboard persuades said owner that a jam will bring in FREE musicians. All the owner has to do is pay the keyboard 200 samoleons. Then the keyboard will call a friend (drummer) for 35-40 and maybe even a guitar (another 35-40). His reasoning will be: Hey, $40 is better than nothing. He will also remind the drummer/guitar that HE was there for THEM when THEY had a gig going.

b... Keyboards won't work for nothing. They seem to take the position: Hey, I did all that practicing. (Yeah, like no one else ever did?) Ha ha. Aaaanyway, that's how it starts. Now what can happen depends on what the area has gone through over the years.

c... Many times these musicians know each other and have supported each other over a period of time (sometimes years). Sooo, there are a lot of 'owesies'. Therefore, the jam runner WILL show favoritism to people whom he has an investment of time with (and they HIM). A female singer may show up in the middle of the second set and IMMEDIATELY go on stage. This could be because of their past associations. Associations which can run the entire gamut.

d... Ultimately, the bar/club/restaurant gets SEVERAL musicians for the price of ONE. Many times there is a tip jar and what winds uyp happening is that the band leader takes ALL the tips. Then he pays the drummer and guitar FROM the tips/ If he runs a little short, THEN he reaches into that (aforementioned) $200 samoleons to make up the difference.

e... I have even had 2 different occassions where the band leader routinely made brash statements. Things like: Hey, 'Ti-Ping is not a city in China. The boys are playing for nothing. How about we help them get back across the toll bridge. Meanwhile no sit in musicians saw ANY of these 'phantom' tips. I told this one guy that his little sympathy act was in poor taste as it was just anther way for him to line his pockets, and that in such a case, he should DROP that schpeil. He more or less told me (in so many words) 'If you don't like it, take a hike'. Which I did.

Other times I was told that trying to pay the sit in musicians was an insult to THEM. Like: Oh, Dr. Doug is a heart surgeon and only plays sax to keep his fingers limber. Trying to pay HIM would be an insult. The guy is better than we could ever afford. Or: Oh, Dr. Steve is a retired doctor and owns half of Punta Gorda. Or: Oh Bruce (Bud) Brown played with his brother Les' band. He was pulling down a grand a week when we were in diapers. Or: Oh, George was music director for the Ringling Bros. B&B Circus. Jesus, he's as good as Alpert.

So, as you turn the Polish printed newspaper over end to end, you finally focus on the illegible pages, and you FINALLY are able to read it. It says "Ain't NO body getting any money".

So you're there - drinking, probably paying admission - expecting that "open stage" means it's open for you too!

And, it SHOULD be. Many times an itenerate musician will come with a friend, a date, a wife, even another couple. Sometimes even parents. God, even their KIDS. This means more entrees and beverage being served. It's a win win situation for everyone. Everyone (that is) except the poor beleagured prospective musician wishing to play.

Then you have to
learn, that they want your money, not your harp though!

Well, to be honest, I haven't had THAT problem. Once I play, I seem to be welcome. (for NOthing, of course). Well, I lied. Now and then I get some money. See, there's a right way and a wrong way to run a jam. What I usually do is to keep a record of how many tunes a sit in has played on (like 10%, 20%, 30%). Then I divvy up the tips accordingly among the VISITING players. The players there with me already ARE getting paid, so they're covered. Even if I have to go in MY pocket.

As I hand it to them, I say the words (in low tones)... 'gas money'. Ya know, there were times when 'I' played somewhere, saw people putting in tips AS I was playing, also noticed that when I wasn't playing, the tips were slim, and then never saw a cent. There were times when 'I' could have used a little gas money. It's not like I'm that well off or anything.

I pretty much understand, that it's not easy to be the jam leader.

If you are making your living as a musician, you have to be resourceful and sometimes a little self serving. If you're like me (retired), you can be a really nice guy (who doesn't gouge), and whom everyone likes to play with. AND people will even set up stuff FOR you. Like Wednesday I was the feature in a 4 hour concert at a retirement complex. There were 10 musicians and 5 on stage at a time and in constant rotation. 4 drummers, 3 double bass, 3 sax, 1 trumpet, 1 clarinet, 1 trombone, 1 jazz accordion, 2 keyboard, and me. I was the only one who did all 4 sets.

But after all it's a deal. You make players come, filling the club, so
you have to make sure they'll have the chance to play.

Some people use a jam or sit-in as a gimmick.

-- Gruß,Frank