Re: [Harp-L] Cowboy/Western Harmonica

The easiest and most productive way to find cowboy songs is to check out
Amazon.

>From there it depends on whether you can read a lead sheet or not. But even
if you cannot, many of the books have guitar chords and lyrics, which should be
some help.

One of the good things about the Amazon CDs, is that you can listen to parts
of the songs.

Note that the Amazon link below pulls up both songbooks and CDs. Among the
CDs   is "Cowboy Songs from the Old West" by Alan Lomax who also wrote "The Folk
Songs of North American." Lomax and his father John used to go around
collecting songs and making disc recordings.

"The Folk Songs of North America" (624 pages) has over 300 songs, and a
section devoted to cowboy songs. Each song has a leadsheet melody and guitar chords
plus a historical blurb. I have it in 1975 paperback. Amazon has a used
copies starting at $7.50.

"Cowboy and Western Songs" (372 pages) by Austin and Alta Fife is an 8- x
10-inch hardcover only available used from Amazon starting at $10 that has 200
songs in leadsheet format and lyrics. My copy is 1982.

Here is the result of a search for "cowboy songs"

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_/105-6078195-5799633?url=search-alias%3Daps
&field-keywords=cowboy songs

Phil Lloyd

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL Money &
Finance.
      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)