Re: [Harp-L] Re: practice

All my students are on the mic from the first day.  Every session ends
with the student playing amped harp, as kind of a reward.  They get a
real kick out of it, and their mic skills grow very quickly with a
little guidance.

There is nothing wrong with beginning or intermediate harp players
buying and praticing with amps and mics.  The risk is they might
overspend or buy gear inappropriate for the sound to which they
aspire, but I can usually advise them what direction to go.  If it
keeps them fired up about harp and about getting better, then it is a
very good thing.

Acoustic practice is important, to be sure.  But so is amped pracitce
if that is what the student wants to ultimately achieve.  I think it
is wrong to tell a student he cannot play amped harp until he gets
"tone."  Tone certainly is different things to different harp players,
and I don't aim to have all my students sound exactly the same.  The
player must find his own way, and it is not up to me to weed out
players who do not comport to some arbitrary method of learning.

I just take a lot of pleasure in their progress, however they might
choose to make it.

-Spec20