Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica w/ Mothers of Invention

There was a guy a few years back called Craig Stewart who said his firts gig(s) were playing with Zappa and the Mothers.

He had an interesting style, I seem to recall, but I never heard him play w. Zappa.
There's a fragment of a wonderful very early Mothers concert at the Fillmore available on the Wolfgang's Vault website. (This is a site that owns a bunch of recordings done at concerts produced by Bill Graham.)

This show was recorded, partially, in June of '66, when they opened for Lenny Bruce.

In the fourth song, Handsome Cabin Boy Jam, someone, probably lead singer Ray Collins, whips out a diatonic harp and plays along with a beautiful Frank Zappa melody. It's kind of rough and not especially long (two bits), but it's actually pretty good. I don't recall any other harp in any of the Zappa recordings. If you're a Zappa fan this whole recording will be a turn-on.

http://tinyurl.com/2g7nvx

Hear Ken Deifik's Song Collection "Music For Small Audience"
at http://www.HarmonicaGuitar.com