From: "Winslow Yerxa" <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:52 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Just Intonation for Blues?

> If you learn to tune, you can have your preferred combination of harp
model, covers, and intonation.

> Tuning is not hard but it does take some patience. Pat's advice is
thorough and excellent. (The only advice I disagree with for *my* personal
use is his recommendation to tune a harp to A443. For me this is just too
sharp for the musicians I play with. 442 works but it still puts me sharp.)

> The 7-limit just intonation that has been used in the past on some harps
makes the Draw 5 (and 9) sound really flat melodically, though it sounds
super smooth in chords. You might want to look at 19-limit just instead,
especially as that note is so important in 3rd position.

> Winslow
>
> PS: harp cover shape is partly a matter of aesthetics, with many players
preferring traditional shapes. However, there is also strong player belief
that cover shape affects tone, projection, and even reed response. So cover
shape is more than a matter of manufacturers being hidebound.

> Bill Hines <billhines4@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: It's time for me to replace
some harps. I was originally playing Lee