RE: [Harp-L] RE: Zappa Harp now Captain Beefhart

Richard Hunter Wrote re Captain Beefheart:
>I'm not as crazy about his album "Trout Mask Replica" as a lot of people

I loved it back in the day.

I got to see the exact band that played on the record at a seriously mobbed-up nightclub in NYC called Ungano's. Ry Cooder was the opening act. The guy who spun tunes between sets played the most dreadful bubble gum music - wrong choice for that hipster crowd in 1970. The audience started howling and the DJ got on his mic and - sounding like a very angry Paulie Walnuts told the audience to shut the F up, and kept playing whatever he felt like.

The Magic Band played most of Trout Mask Replica note for note, sound for sound, on the very instruments it had been recorded with. And it was about a billion times more powerful than on the record. Very surprising. We thought we were going to see a band of okay musicians noodling some loose music while Captain B screamed poetry. What we got was a stage full of virtuosos playing this astonishingly intricate music with precision and incredible fire, as though their lives depended on it. (The drummer in fact had been in the Philadelphia Orchestra under Eugene Ormandy, and had worked with Zappa.) To this day one of my favorite nights of music.

The audience shouted for more at the end and Beefheart came out by himself, pulled out a harmonica and played "More", the theme from the movie Mondo Cane, which had been a hit a few years earlier. I don't think he got very far into it before he quit and walked off.

Great show. Also the last show of its kind. The instruments were all very strange, old guitars and such with very unique qualities. The day after this show the band - most of whom were from the Mojave Desert - went downtown to visit with Ornette Coleman, leaving their axes in the taxi. Beginner's mistake. They never saw those instruments again, and the band never sounded as good with the replacements.