Re: [Harp-L] Hands-Free-Chromatic (HFC)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Payne David" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harp L Harp L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:19 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Hands-Free-Chromatic (HFC)

So, let me get this right, Vern, the player presses the mouthpiece down when he plays.

There is no more conscious "pressing down" on the mouthpiece than the player does on a conventional chromatic. The mouthpiece stays in contact with the comb without any deliberate action on the part of the player.

Then he wants an accidental, he lightens the pressure,...

The player isn't conscious of any lightening of pressure, it just happens with all players...part of the "magic" of the HFC.

>...drops down and plays.

The player deliberately nods, moving his lips and the mouthpiece down about 4mm to align the holes with the lower reed chambers of the harp. This directs the air to the "black key" # & b reeds on the lower reedplate.

It sounds like it could be interestingly tight if played right.

The tightness doesn't depend on player technique. It is leak-free for everybody. The only player techniques that are important are generating a nice throat vibrato without hand-cupping and the musical challenge of playing harmonica simultaneously with another instrument. I lap the plastic mouthpiece and the comb mating surfaces to a flatness tolerance of less than .0005". Wood is too unstable to hold such a tolerance in the presence of variable breath moisture.

Very straightforward description. Also noticed you used a Seydel Chromatic DeLuxe for the base harp, that's a good choice...

The Seydel Chromatic Deluxe has nicely finished covers and comes very well tuned and gapped from the factory. I used one as my main conventional harp for a year before incorporating it into the HFC design. I have molded my own polyurethane plastic combs since Farrell's injection-molded plastic combs became unavailable.

Dave

Thank you, Dave, for your for your questions and comments.

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com